Monday, June 4, 2012

20-Somethings


New York Time says: "Sociologists traditionally define the "transition to adulthood" as marked by five milestones: completing school, leaving home, becoming financially independent, marrying and having a child. In 1960, 77 percent of women and 65 percent of men had, by the time they reached 30, passed all five milestones."

I can't but help asking, is that "for-real?"

My mother was 23 years old in 1983 (Mom, I can tell the world how old you are because you look 35!), when she was married, and completed 4 of the milestones.  Yet, even in the 80's she was pushing it age wise when waiting to have me at age 28 (Completing the 5th milestone)!

Thank you Uncle Daryl for the Stunning Pictures!

For myself at the ripe age of 23, I have completed 3 of these milestone (well, minus the fact that my cell-phone is still on the family plan- Thanks Mom & Dad!).  The odd fact is that I'm the exception, not the rule.  Many of my friends and acquaintances have not even completed school yet, let alone left home or do I dare mention the "e" word, engaged!

Mom & I!
The fact is that times have changed, and with it, cultural expectations.  There is a sense that 20-somethings have more time to figure it out, time to travel, time to experiment (while living on the parental payroll, of course).  And if we aren't living out our own "Eat, Pray, Love" movie, then we are indeed focusing on our career.  And with the economy so horrendous, many take what they can get to have one foot in the door.  However, often this leads to many job changes.  NYT says: "Twenty-somethings go through an average of seven jobs, more job changes than in any other stretch of life." This is again because, we are still "exploring" a wide range of career options.

It's funny, because I'd feel so incredibly young to be financially stable, married, and with kids- I don't know how my parents did it so successfully.!  I feel I have so much more to learn in my career, so much more to explore, and even more self & spiritual improvements to gain! However, if you asked me which would I rather right now: A high-paying respectable career vs. A loving husband, children, and a God center-life with a "good-enough" career, I'd most certainly choose the latter.  Not to say, I'm not driven or career-oriented, but family and God are just much more important to me!

My only advice to the twenty-somethings like me out there:  "Follow your passions, balance responsibility with exploration, work hard, be financially responsible, volunteer, maintain your physical and mental well-being, and fall in love along the way!"

No comments:

Post a Comment