Saturday, June 9, 2012

"You Are Not Special"

 "Get busy, have at it, don't wait for inspiration or passion to find you. Get up, get out, explore, find it yourself, grab hold with both hands.  Before you dash off and get your YOLO ("You Only Live Once") Tattoo, let me point out the ill-logic of that trendy little expression.  Because you can and should live not merely once, but everyday of your life...... Exercise free will and independent thought not for the satisfaction they will bring you, but for the good they will do others.   And then you to will discover the great and curious truth of the human experience is that SELFLESSNESS is the best thing you can do for yourself.  The sweetness joy of life then come from recognition that You Are Not Special, Everyone is."

-Wellesley High English teacher David McCullough Jr. told graduates
 

I could agree more with Mr. McCullough!  The Christian bible is filled with the command to be selfless:

"Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others."
-Philippians 2:4

"Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law" -Romans 13:8-10

"Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed." 
-Proverbs 19:17

It's so true, “A fulfilling and meaningful life is created through service to others.”  In this season of my life, I’m continually focusing on being a better person, a selfless person.  Some of the most successful people in life have found that combining what you love and are passionate about while servings others is not only a way to be successful in the working world, but also a way to lead a joyful, Christ-honoring life!  So how do you serve others?  Well, that’s a question I don’t have the complete answer to, but I know it’s full of selflessness, living as Jesus did, and by having patience and the willingness to see situations from others’ perspective. Certainly not easy tasks to do.  I found an article that helped put this initiative in action:

Message #1071 Rev. Jack C. Longley
“LEARNING TO SERVE LIKE JESUS” [I Corinthians 12:12-31]
Trinity Presbyterian Church October 17, 2004

SERVING LIKE JESUS MEANS BEING AVAILABLE One day Jesus was walking to Jericho, and… “Two blind men shouted, ‘Lord, have mercy on us!’ Jesus STOPPED and called them. ‘What do you want Me to do for you?’” …circle the word “stopped” If you want to be used by God you must be willing to be interrupted! I want to point out to you that most of Jesus’ miracles were interruptions. All the people He healed: the blind man, the lame man, the sick people, the paralyzed man, the dead child…all were interruptions!

Forget yourself long enough to lend a helping hand, and be aware that the number one enemy of compassion is busyness.  Ecclesiastes 11:4: “If you wait for perfect conditions, you’ll never get anything done!”  God doesn’t use perfect people to accomplish things, because THERE ARE NOT ANY [It's the human condition]!

In Matthew 6:1, Jesus said: “When you do good deeds, don’t try to show off. If you do, you won’t get a reward from your Father in heaven!”

Pray… “Father, I realize that I was shaped to serve You by serving others. Forgive me for the times I’ve put a “do not disturb” sign on my heart. Help me to see the interruptions as opportunities to serve. Help me to make time for what matters most. You’ve been so good to me. I want to give something back. I want to serve You freely and gratefully and faithfully, and I want to one day hear you say to me, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant.’ In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.


We must get out there and serve in any way possible, especially in times of interruption.  We can't wait for perfect conditions, we must just act!  The rewards we expect from waiting for a perfect condition, will be found when you act in selflessness! Don't show off your acts, the Lord will reward you enough- I promise!

Whether you believe in the bible or not, please think back to the times that you helped someone (big or small), and how amazing it felt! I encourage you to be kind, help others, and to live selflessly!



No comments:

Post a Comment