Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Be Angry, but Don’t Sin

I don’t consider myself an angry person, and not much makes me get so angry that I sin. At least that is how I viewed myself when I heard this Sermon at Good News Bible Chapel on Sunday, June, 2nd. 

Like all things in life, I sure had a wakeup call with the amount of angry I felt this morning. I won’t go into the details, but I was certainly was to the point of thinking about what I wanted to say to a certain someone, and it wasn’t pretty. The good thing is the bible lets us be angry.

Ephesians 4:26-29

26-27 Go ahead and be angry. You do well to be angry—but don't use your anger as fuel for revenge. And don't stay angry. Don't go to bed angry. Don't give the Devil that kind of foothold in your life.

28 Did you use to make ends meet by stealing? Well, no more! Get an honest job so that you can help others who can't work.

29 Watch the way you talk. Let nothing foul or dirty come out of your mouth. Say only what helps, each word a gift.

The lesson is to Be Angry, but Don’t Sin- don’t swear, and only use words that are helpful! I also think it helps to take this advice: “Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak” (James 1:19). And, before you fall asleep at night, find peace- especially in quarrels with relationships.  I promise it's worth it!

I'm glad I didn't open my mouth this morning in reaction to my anger, but I painfully waited 2 hours in order to re-evaluated the situation.  It turns out that being kind in the situation resulted in getting what I needed- and I felt better amount the whole thing too!

However, I don’t want to stop right there with the Letter Paul wrote to the town of Ephesus. Especially in 4:25-32 where we learn how to live as a Christian. We are to not lie, steal, nor seek revenge, but rather, we are to work hard, help others, be a friend, and forgive just as God has forgiven us! Simple.

What an amazing God we have, who knows what is so pure and righteous! A God that wants us to know the truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment